Flat white

I have to say, ordering a coffee in New Zealand is very confusing when it's your first time around!

If you've ever been to New Zealand, you'll be familiar with the flat white: the coffee drink of choice among many New Zealanders. The first time I went out for coffee, I stared at the board and had no idea what to order because I had no clue what anything was! Considering I hope to work as a barista while I'm here, I thought I better figure it out...

My first flat white had me instantly hooked: smooth, creamy and ever so slightly frothy steamed milk blended with espresso. Yum. And just as pretty as it is tasty!

 
 
I've  noticed that New Zealanders have lots of cute names for things, for example, they call a cooler a "chilly bin" and candy is referred to as "lollies". I reckon (also a fav term here) it's the same with their coffee. There is also the "long black", which is essentially an americano. Then they have the standard lattes and cappucinos. The cutest coffee term is the "fluffy" a drink for kids, which is a small cup of foamed milk, sprinkled with chocolate, and served with a marshmallow and a small chocolate fish..really, how cute is that?! I want to order one!
 
Another thing about going for coffee in New Zealand is that people like to stay and drink their coffee. The to-go coffee trend that is popular in Canada and the US is not something that has caught on here. It's actually really nice to have your coffee served in a pretty cup with a saucer, rather than a disposible paper cup with a disposible paper sleeve. (As I find is often the case, even if you haven't asked for your coffee to go) I love going out for coffee, and hopefully I'll soon be able to practice my barista skills at one of the local cafe's!
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Mom just sent me this cute video..quite fitting, as my new friend is sitting beside me on the window sill! Unfortunately, I don't think there are any Cat Cafe's in New Zealand..
 
 
 
 

Comments

  1. That video was way too cute. I want to open one of those businesses!!! Come back Barbara - we can do it together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to, Shelley!! Always been my dream to have a little coffee shop! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That video was so cute. And the coffees in your post look so delicious I can hardly stand it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pupu Springs & Wharariki Beach

Queenstown

Bay of Islands!