Okay, let's get to the good stuff...

Well, I've been here long enough to have an idea what it's like to pick up and move to a different city (in a different country), where you essentially know no one. Let's see if I can give you an idea...
You know those people we have all come accross..the ones who refuse to just complete the transaction at hand... That's right, "Okay, here's your shirt/coffee/bicycle. Have a nice day!.. okay, yup, bye. See you next time...thank you!" Nope! This person is adamently pursuing a conversation. Mostly, about things you couldn't care less about. Well, I now know what it's like to be that person. I don't always have someone to go for lunch with, and sometimes I find myself seeking someone out for the sole purpose of having that little bit of interaction. So, I head to the supermarket or a coffee shop! I'm the one looking for the guys who stock the shelves. Even a miniscule conversation about where the lentils are will sometimes be enough. Don't get me wrong, I'm not in the worst offender category, and I know how to take a hint. I would describe myself more as someone who will take some polite conversation, and then try my hardest to turn it into something more. You know the ones...eventually, you're onto them, and you find yourself trying your hardest to only say things that they couldn't possibly comment on or continue the conversation. I'm sure people don't think that of me, (I sincerely hope, anyway!!) but these are the funny things that pop into my head in these situations. Situations which make me thankful that I do have someone to go for lunch with back in Victoria. Yes, I miss my friends! The times I have tried to start a conversation, it usually involves me casually mentioning that I just arrived from Canada, and it's always a little bit sad when someone doesn't take the bait. "Oh, you don't care? Fine..I didn't want to talk to you anyways!"

Comments

  1. lol! It's just a matter of time before you have a new flock of friends (that obviously can't replace the old flock but it'll do for the time being ;) ) that adore you just as much as we do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe, thanks Em :) I'm happy to report that I have met some very nice people since this post, and I'm sure some of them will become friends!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pupu Springs & Wharariki Beach

Queenstown

Bay of Islands!