Pumpkin pie

Well, there is no Thanksgiving in New Zealand. I have to say, I didn't realize how much I would miss my usual Fall traditions. Like going to Dairy Queen to get as many pumpkin pie blizzards as I can before they sell out. Or the pumpkin spice latte at Starbucks. Or pretty much anything pumpkin I can get my hands on, really...scones, muffins, pies..I love them all! The cold nights here have tricked me into feeling like Fall is just around the corner, but there is no pumpkin to speak of.
So, when Thanksgiving arrived and everyone back home was talking about all the delicious desserts they were having, it really put me over the edge. The last straw was hearing that my family had two pumpkin pies! Two!!
So, I settled on the most simple recipe I could find (it was not simple in practice!) and sent David out to get all the stuff to make a pumpkin cheesecake. First roadblock: they don't sell canned pumpkin in New Zealand. (I had a similar experience when I was here in February and needed canned black beans to make veggie burgers..that's right, they didn't have them) It's very interesting being in another country and not being able to find your usual staples. Anyways, I didn't let that deter me. After a quick google search, I discovered that I could make my own pumpkin puree, and got David to pick up half a pumpkin. After a very tedious process of chopping and boiling the pumpkin, and then straining it to get the water out, (we don't have a strainer, so this involved using a measuring cup and the mesh part of my french press. No, I would not recommend this..) I was able to get back to making the cheesecake. Really, all I was after was a boxed pumpkin pie from the grocery store, but desperate times call for desperate measures. It took forever to make, but sometimes the effort really is worth it...it turned out perfectly!
And everything is right with the world once again.


Comments

  1. Good job Barbara - your pie looks yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your perseverance paid off it looks like - good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it was delicious! Not sure it's a good idea to have an entire cheesecake in the fridge though.. We made short work of it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pupu Springs & Wharariki Beach

Queenstown

Bay of Islands!