10% chance of rain

I'm not generally someone who checks the weather, unless I'm planning a big outing like a hike or a weekend of camping, but since I've been in New Zealand, I find myself checking it constantly. The fact that I either walk or bike to get around is a big reason for this. Another reason is that the weather changes so quickly here. This brings me to the topic of hanging clothes out to dry: a fairly new concept for me, having always had a dryer, although I do recall having a clothes line at home as a kid. From an environmental standpoint, and also to be gentler on your clothes, I'm a big fan of drying clothes outside on the line. I think the fact that it's banned in certain areas, like Whistler, because it's unsightly, is ridiculous. For most New Zealanders, it's simply part of your everyday routine.

Now, whenever it rains, my first thought is "Do I have clothes out on the line?!" Sometimes, the answer is yes, and if I'm lucky enough to be home, I make a mad dash outside to take them off as fast as I can. I've overheard phone calls of co-workers calling their kids to ask them to bring the washing in when it's suddenly started raining. I often laugh to myself as I imagine the havoc that a sudden, unexpected shower causes here..I can just imagine all my neighbours rushing out to take their clothes off the line, and people at the supermarket cursing under their breath; the rain really does cause quite a stir here!


My days of doing laundry on a whim, or at least on a schedule, like at my apartment, are far far away. Here, there's a little more planning involved when it comes to doing your laundry, or washing, as it's called here. First of all, checking the forecast is a must, preferably the night before and on the morning of. Simply looking outside and trying to judge the weather is very unreliable. The fact that it's sunny with blue skies at 7am really has no bearing on what the weather will be like at noon. Once you're satisfied with the forecast, you will want to start your laundry nice and early, so that it has plenty of time to dry. You'll also want to give yourself plenty of time to hang everything..you may think it will be quick enough, but trust me, hanging socks one by one is not a quick task. (If you thought it was no big deal to have to take your clothes in during a shower and then hang them out again, think again! Socks only make it worse.)

Now, if you're like me, and aren't used to hanging your clothes out for all your neighbours to see, you may feel a little shy at first. I have since gotten used to the idea, but in the beginning, I found myself looking around while trying to hang items inconspicuously, half expecting to see my neighbours peering out their windows while I hung my undies on the line.


I've also had to learn to abide by a few rules: suddenly, washing light and dark clothes together is a definite no-no, a lesson learned after removing black lint from all of my white clothes. And my days of bragging that I haven't ironed anything in years, instead using my iron to wax my snowboard? You guessed it...gone! On the morning of a recent job interview, I noticed how wrinkled all of my clothes were, and decided that I needed an iron... Six dollars and a quick trip to the Hospice shop later, I was the proud owner of an iron and a super cool, retro ironing board. Then a funny thing happened...I discovered that I actually like ironing!! There is really something quite satisfying and almost soothing about it. It makes me feel nostalgic and brings back memories of my Mom ironing downstairs in my childhood house, while I hung around and talked to her. And years later, when we were teenagers, Oma ironing every single piece of our clothing for my sister and I. I used to think ironing was largely unnecessary, and somewhat outdated, but I guess at the age of thirty, I finally get it.

Comments

  1. Another interesting blog Barbara! Oma will be excited to hear that you've discovered "the joy of ironing" even though she now denies having ironed everthing. It's true--she really did and I'm glad you mentioned it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your posts (and pictures) just keep getting better and better! Always entertaining and thought provoking too. You really should consider a career that involves writing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renata! I'm glad you're enjoying my blog...I'm enjoying writing it too! When my year's up, I may just have to find another outlet! :)

      Delete
  3. My thoughts exactly, Barbara, regarding a career that involves writing!! You've moved up my list of sites I check each morning for something worth reading ;-) But no pressure, eh?
    And on the ironing front, personally, I find it great therapy, among other things that involve physical effort, repetition and attention to detail.
    Sending positive vibes - can't wait for the latest news.
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I'm very flattered!! Thanks Cheryl! Yes, that is a lot of pressure, but I'll try not to let it go to my head! :) Glad I'm not the only one who's iron-happy! ;) Thanks for the positive vibes!!

      Delete
  4. As soon as I scrolled down and saw the pic of an ironing board I thought to myself "Wait, am I reading B's blog?! I must have clicked on the wrong site!!" ;) That's funny that you iron now, never thought I'd see the day! You're becoming so domestic.
    I second Nata, I've always thought/known that you're a great writer and I'm glad that you're doing it on a regular basis. I always look forward to your posts. You should link your blog to your FB and Twitter too so everyone can enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOLOLOL! Yes, if anyone knows I don't (or didn't) iron, it's you! hahaha.. You're right, I am becoming very domestic...it's nice to have time to do all the things that usually get put on the back burner! Thanks for your positive comments, Michaela! I'm glad I have some loyal followers...I'll tweet the next one! :)

      Delete
  5. It is really a pleasure to read your blog! Thanks for sharing your experiences and life in New Zealand! When living in a different country, one discovers so many new things about life and about oneself - it is so enriching, but also sometimes hard when you miss home and friends. I send you many greetings from Germany, your friend Kristina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristina! I know you can relate to many of my experiences and feelings because you've also lived away from home for an extended period. Thanks for following my blog! :)

      Delete
  6. This is my favourite post so far :) It made me feel all warm and happy inside!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pupu Springs & Wharariki Beach

Queenstown

Bay of Islands!