Rabbit Island

Summer is finally on it's way! I've thought that before, and subsequently changed my mind, but I think it's for real this time.

This week has been sunny and warm, and has reached temperatures of up to 25 degrees!
Anyways, I thought I should celebrate the arrival of summer by going to the beach. So, I decided to hop on my bike and ride out to Rabbit Island, which is just over 14 km away. Unfortunately, there are no bike trails that go there, so I had to ride on the road. Aside from some terrifying moments on the highway, namely the Appleby bridge, which is barely wide enough for one car in each direction, I really enjoyed the views of the countryside. I stopped quite a few times to see the sheep and their adorable little lambs.



Mostly, I'm enjoying cycling as my mode of transport these days. I always aspired to ride my bike more in Victoria, but having a car made it too easy to just drive instead. Being on my bike makes me happy. I feel like I'm 5 years old all over again, and I love the rush of adrenaline as I ride with no hands down a hill. I feel like I'm finally a true bike commuter; I no longer feel nervous or unsure about roundabouts, or riding in heavy traffic, and I don't allow drivers to bully me. Having a better view of my surroundings is also a nice bonus. I'm obsessed with the beautiful skies and interesting clouds here, so I'm often looking up at the sky and admiring the view.


Anyways, when I arrived at Rabbit Island and had the beach to myself, the long and frightening bike ride suddenly seemed worthwhile.


 

 

After a couple delightful hours of relaxing, (okay, let's be honest, sleeping!) David was nice enough to spare me the terrifying ride home and came to pick me up!




A funny little car on the way to Rabbit Island...although on my way up the road to meet David, I did think it was him waiting for me in the truck, LOL!



Comments

  1. Wow, looks like paradise!! Sounds like an absolutely perfect day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll go there when you're here, Renata! Can't wait!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awe, I wish all you girls could come! Someone win the lottery and get your butts over here, please!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara, I especially like the pic of your purple tootsies!
    Cheryl
    ps did my bcrpa aquafit module on the weekend and am mentoring with Aaron. At the pool today in a "workish" capacity for the first time in nearly a year. It was good, and I did think of you when I came thru the doors ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome, Cheryl! I'm sure you'll be great!! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pupu Springs & Wharariki Beach

Queenstown

Bay of Islands!