Sea lice

So, I've found a few jobs over here, and with the exception of one, I'm not loving them. I thought I would tell you all about my glamourous part-time NZ jobs... Might just make you feel a whole lot better about yours!  ;) I'll try not to bitch, but I'm also not going to sugar-coat anything...

So, the job I'm enjoying is for HYPE, (Help For Young People at Events) which is basically what the name implies. Whenever there's an event that is likely to attract young people, HYPE sends out teams of street ambassadors to make sure everyone is safe, ie: not too drunk, isn't causing trouble, has a ride home, etc. We also give out condoms & lollies, LOL! I've only worked one shift that was at the masked parade, but I thought it was a really worthwhile thing to be doing, and it was fun. HYPE also runs activities at events like skatepark tours and festivals, which I'm scheduled to work in the coming months, paired up with David, who also works for HYPE.

With the other two jobs, I've decided that a theory I've had in the past is fairly accurate. That theory is that the less money you make, the harder you have to work. Not that I mind hard work, but after a 5 hour shift at Lydia's, during which time I'm washing dishes, running food and clearing tables AS FAST AS I CAN, I am completely exhausted, and it's a wonder I make it home on my bike! This is certainly not what I had in mind when I decided I would like to work in a cafe while I'm here, and not at all like my experience working in a  cafe in my early 20's.

The other job I aquired is at a fish shop. The job I applied for and interviewed for was at the WOW (World of Wearable Art) Cafe, and after I was informed that I was their second choice in favour of someone with more cafe experience, the manager recruited me for the other business he manages, which happened to be a fish shop. I decided to give it a chance, because at the 6 week mark of being unemployed, and humbled by my job search, I decided that I should have been less picky and just worked anywhere. Another thing about working in a cafe here is that very few cafes are willing to train you. In Nelson, there's a Hospitality training centre for young people who leave school early. In most cases, it seems that these 16 and 17 year olds who can make the perfect flat white have a definite advantage with the cafe's. Staying true to my word, I accepted the position. The bulk of the job is fine...I just serve customers and package up fish. the part I don't like is traying up mass amounts of fish (which I can't tell apart) and all the cleaning. Oh, and removing sea lice from flounder fish is fun...has anyone ever seen sea lice? If not, I don't recommend it. They are absloutely disgusting things, which can be shockingly huge, sometimes bigger than the size of a jube jube, and resemble raw chicken. I am seriously traumatized!

I've decided that my job at Crystal Pool is the exception, not the rule, in terms of having a job that you never dread going to, and where the customers and staff are pleasant and cheerful. I suppose I haven't given it very long, but that hasn't been my experience here so far. I haven't given up, and I have another interview at a really nice cafe on Wednesday, so cross your fingers for me, people!!

On the non work front, I've been enjoying going to the gym, the first few summer BBQ's, beach time, bike rides and hikes, and think I will focus on these things for now. :)

Comments

  1. Its a funny little town Richmond, but I've got my fingers crossed for you. Don't give up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the cafe interview Barbara! My fingers are crossed for you too. Somehow, I didn't envision that you would be picking sea lice off of flounder fish in New Zealand. Although I give you full credit for your stick-to-it-iveness, It's about time that you get lucky and score a job that's more reflective of your many talents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara, good luck with the next interview. I'm sending positive vibes that they make the right decision!
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pupu Springs & Wharariki Beach

Queenstown

Bay of Islands!