Trial run

Well, I'm happy to say that I passed the first test (the interview) at the Cafe I applied at, and made it to the second round, which is what's called a trial day. This is quite a regular thing in New Zealand; when you are one of the final candidates for a job, they ask you to come in for a few hours to see how you fit in. It's kind of like a try-before-you-buy system for employers. As one of the prospective employees doing a trial shift, I have to say it was a little bit nerve-wracking to know that I was being watched and judged. During the interview I was asked whether or not I would be comfortable making a cake, which caught me off guard, but the job I applied for is split between front of house and the kitchen, so I guess I shouldn't have been so surprised. I was a bit worried that they would put my cake making skills to the test today, but thankfully they didn't. I have become a much better cook and baker since I've been here, (what better time to learn such skills than when you're unemployed?) but as some of you will remember, it wasn't long ago that I ruined a whole batch of blueberry muffins because I forgot the eggs...

Anyways, I managed to put aside my performance angst, and actually ended up enjoying my three hour shift. I spent most of my time on till taking orders, and plating & serving food. Aside from charging two people back to back for the pie instead of the tart, (can't seem to wrap my head around some of the savoury things that have dessert names by Canadian standards!) I would say that everything went pretty well. It was a really nice work environment, I was offered coffee and lots of different food (always a bonus to be fed!), and really liked all the staff. There are four other candidates doing trial shifts over the next few days, so maybe I'll get the job, and maybe I won't. I'm not sure if I like the concept of these trial shifts or not, but I suppose I can see that it would be a good way for an employer to find the best possible employee, rather than just someone who interviews well. I'm also less attached to the outcome than I thought I would be; I did my best, and now it's up to them if they hire me or not. If I do get the job, I think it'll be nice not to have to worry whether or not I'm meeting their expectations...I'll already know that I did better than four other people! If I don't get the job, my ego may be bruised for a day or two, but it's already taken somewhat of a bashing since I've been here, so I'll get over it! :)

Comments

  1. Good attitude Barbara! I'm still crossing my fingers that you'll be the one that they pick. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stella and I are rooting for you!! We love you no matter what and are counting the days til you come back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe, thanks for the sisterly love.. :) Means a lot that you figured out how to comment too!! Love you guys and miss you lots!

      Delete
  3. Always nice to know you're a top contender :) Fingers crossed for you! Is this a full-time or part-time gig? What's it called again? I want to google! xoxo m

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks darlin! It's called Cafe on Oxford..20-25 hours a week. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pupu Springs & Wharariki Beach

Queenstown

Bay of Islands!