A Summer Christmas


I have to say, I just can't seem to wrap my head around the concept of summer and Christmas coinciding. If I didn't have some early reminders that Christmas was coming in the form of events like the Santa Parade (which, as you can see from the picture is a summer parade with Santa Claus!) or the Christmas music in the mall, I wouldn't really have even remembered that Christmas was coming at all! Even with these reminders, I forget again as soon as I step outside into summer weather. David has gone to great lengths to get me in the Christmas spirit and make it feel like Christmas. We have a real Christmas tree in our living room, decorated with ornaments and lights, and I have a collection of Christmas cards displayed around the house. I had a moment of panic when I got my first Christmas card in the mail, because not only had I not sent any out, I hadn't even bought the cards. I was eventually inspired to get some cards, but even writing and sending them out didn't get me in the Christmas spirit, the way it usually does. I always love getting Christmas cards, and this year is no exception. I was even lucky enough to get a package from home with home-made Christmas cookies!

I guess if you grew up in New Zealand and were used to having Christmas coincide with summer, it would just seem normal to you. Although, almost all the Christmas music and stories portray Christmas in the snow and cold, so it must have been confusing for kiwi kids!
When I think of Christmas, what comes to mind is all the activities I associate with this time of year: bundling up and going for walks, staying in and baking cookies, drinking hot chocolate by the fire, tobogganing, shovelling the driveway, making a snowman, having a snowball fight.. With the absence of these activities, my brain just refuses to accept that Christmas is in less than a week!

This year for Christmas, I'll be enjoying a beach BBQ with family and friends, which I have to admit does sound pretty awesome! At this point, I still can't really picture it..the BBQ, yes, but the fact that it will be Christmas, no. In the days leading up to Christmas, David and I will be camping in Totaranui, which is located in the Abel Tasman National Park. The weather has been hot the last little while, so hopefully it will stay that way for our trip.

One thing I have noticed about Christmas here is that it's not politically incorrect to wish someone a "Merry Christmas" which is so refreshing. Back home, I was always worried that I might offend someone by saying it. More than a few times, I've had someone tell me that they don't celebrate Christmas or otherwise express their displeasure after I've wished them a "Merry Christmas". I'm sure most Canadians have gotten the message loud and clear that saying Merry Christmas is not inclusive of all celebrations, religions, etc, and a generic version, such as "Happy Holidays" is more appropriate. I grew up saying "Merry Christmas" so it just feels sad not to be able to say it. I don't particularily like the sound of "Happy Holidays" so I often wouldn't say anything at all. I think it's great that everyone has different traditions and celebrates the holidays in their own way, and am happy to receive any variation of greeting that is reflective of this. I really didn't notice how ridiculous it was until I came to New Zealand and realized that nobody mad a big deal about it here. People just accept "Merry Christmas" for the joyful and festive greeting that it is.

Merry Christmas, Everyone!! :) No matter how you are planning to celebrate the season, I wish you much happiness and joy!  X

Comments

  1. Merry Christmas to you and David as well Barbara..Have a safe and happy holiday!! Claudine

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pupu Springs & Wharariki Beach

Queenstown

Bay of Islands!