Asiago & Artichoke dip

It's funny how something as simple as not being able to get your favourite dip can feel like such a big deal, but when I was in the grocery store yesterday and they didn't have asiago and artichoke dip, I could feel my anxiety level rising. There happened to be two guys stocking shelves right in the dip section, which only added to my stress as I tried to see around them. I felt like demanding an explanation..I mean, how can they not have asiago and artichoke dip? There were endless rows of hummus in every variation you could think of, but nothing resembling the familiar dip I'm used to getting back home.


I'm sure there are lots of yummy dips that I will discover while I'm here, which will be equally frustrating when I can't find them in Canada. (Not the kiwi dip though..maybe it's an aquired taste, but has anyone ever tried it? It's made by mixing reduced cream with a package of soup mix..yuck!)


Anyways, I did recover from my dip disappointment. The point is, sometimes these things can make you feel a tad homesick. In light of this, I decided to seek out all things that reminded me of home. After checking the weather, (a must here, as it can change so quickly) I set off on my bike ride to Nelson. Blue skies and only a 10% chance of rain!

As you can see, the blue skies quickly turned to grey, but it seemed fine again by the time I got there.



When I arrived in Nelson, my first stop was Yogi's, a self serve frozen yogurt place that recently opened, that I've been dying to try. As good as it looks, it didn't live up to 'Yogurt Land' in Hawaii, or 'Quoola' in Victoria. It didn't help that I was by myself, instead of with my friends, either. After that, I checked out all the thrift stores I could, did some window shopping, rode my bike around a bit, and then used a 'Grab One' (New Zealand's version of the 'Groupon' and just as dangerous!) at the Red Gallery to get a coffee. It was super cute in there, and I thoroughly enjoyed my solo cup of coffee. So much so, that I didn't notice that it had started pouring rain outside! Since I left my waterproof jacket at home (remember the 10% chance of rain?) I decided to take the bus home. 


You can see from the picture that it wasn't just a sprinkle of rain, but a complete downpour, which is usually the way it goes here. By the time I got back to Richmond, it was blue skies and sunshine, as is also often the case! Next time I think I'll take the waterproof jacket though...

Comments

  1. You recently made that delicious pumpkin pie with alot of effort. Maybe if you can find asagio cheese and marinated artichoke hearts there, you could whip up some dip after finding a recipe on-line. I know it's alot of work but if it's possible to replicate a taste of home, it would be worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you come over and make it for me, please? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the post B! Although I do find it funny that asiago and spinach dip is one of your "misses" ;) And you're a BC girl, you should be prepared for all weather possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why is that funny? :P As for the weather, I was obviously under the false impression that NZ was supposed to be nice and warm year round! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know, just seems like a random thing to miss :) I didn't even know you liked it! I'll have to find a recipe and make you some when you get home in just over 10 months!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. B, you should try the "kiwi dip"...it's pretty tasty! Definitely a guilty pleasure though. Tastes good but you know its not good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've tried it...maybe I just need to try another flavour..I won't write it off quite yet! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pupu Springs & Wharariki Beach

Queenstown

Bay of Islands!